BEEactive October

(Darren Gough) #1

Hi all,

For everyone still with us on the BEEactive journey, month 3 is going to focus on stretching. I’ve found a basic set of exercises from the NHS here, but I’d love to know if anyone has any better resources / experience of successful stretch routines aimed at home/desk workers.

I want to be a little careful to make sure it’s worthwhile but not to tricky.

(Sarah Hawk) #2

Those look like pretty good ones, but I wonder how we measure progression?

(Darren Gough) #3

I’m wondering if we need to add another activity, or perhaps people simply add a personal goal alongside this?

(Sarah Hawk) #4

Tricep pushups?

(Mark Baldwin) #5

How about a goal to do a “mile a day”? Lots of talk about this and the benefits, especially when running every single day for a month. I’ve set myself a goal to go and run at least a mile every day, but it can just be forward momentum. The idea is that it has to be constant, so walking, running, cycling etc is all good, but no stopping for a break.

(Sarah Hawk) #6

What’s a mile? :wink:

I like this idea though. It’ll be challenging to find the time.

(Mark Baldwin) #7

You can walk a mile (1500m) in less than 20 minutes, just plan a nice circular route. :slight_smile:

(Sarah Hawk) #8

I walk the kids to school and back each day. That’s 1400m. I’ll take it!

(Darren Gough) #9

I’ve been taking a slightly different approach to getting back into running. Instead of continuous forward motion, I’m running for a while until I need a break, giving myself 30 seconds and then running again until the next break.

Been reasonably effective - I’ve got back up to 5K in a week. Key for me is not beating myself up over the breaks after not having run for a while.

I’ve also been doing a 1K run to the park as a warm up, then a set of HIIT sprints down the side of half a football pitch, using the second half to jog recovery. I have to be pretty careful as my hamstrings have a historical tendency to pull quite easily so I’m giving the HIIT as much as I can without causing injury.

I was thinking about maybe mixing this up a bit “The Challenge of 10”, so 1KM warm up to park, then 10 sets of 10 different exercises, then 1KM warm down back

(Mark Baldwin) #10

@Darren_Gough Interval running has made a massive difference to my pace when I do my normal runs. When I do interval runs I do 2 minutes running at about 80% (where 100% is running as fast as I can) and then 1 minute walking briskly, repeat for as long as I can.

(Darren Gough) #11

I agree.

There’s some good case study (none of which I can recall top of head) around people training for marathons only doing much shorter overall distance as interval running.

(Sarah Hawk) #12

We used to do something similar when I was a kid – it was called Scout’s Pace – we’d run two lamp posts and and then walk one.

(Sarah Hawk) #13

I concede to having not done any of this stretching or running all month. Is it getting too busy at this time of year?

Perhaps we should regroup in the new year when we’ve all eaten and drunk ourselves into guilt.

Thoughts?

@Darren_Gough

(Darren Gough) #14

Agreed!