Ask a Question or Groups Functionality? - which is the better to launch the Community with?

(Kath Reuben) #1

If you were going to launch your Community with only one engagement function from the outset (so we already have Library of Knowledge and Case Management), would you choose ‘Ask a Question’ or Groups Functionality? (we are on the SF Community platform).

Our users aren’t particularly tech savvy, so I think Ask a Question would be a more intuitive action to kick off support and engagement for our new Community, but operationally, would require more structure and support before launch. Whereas Groups feels easier and more controlled for us to manage initially, but not as intuitive/user friendly for users.

Any feedback or insights if you’ve gone down one of these paths for your first reiteration of your Community?

(Sarah Hawk) #2

Hi Kath,
Good to hear from you.

For me, that decision would depend on what the primary function of the community was. What is it that your audience need most? Do they come to you looking for help with challenges, or to network with others?

(Kath Reuben) #3

Thanks for your reply @HAWK. As a Support Community the primary intent is information sharing and product knowledge, which fits in line with Ask A Question. Whilst Groups will serve this purpose too, i could see that they may appear to be more network focused. Thanks for giving me something to think about!

(Nick Emmett) #4

Hey @Kath_Reuben - this was a minor dilemma I had too as we’re switching to the Napili template in Salesforce. Does your community exist currently and if so what do your users have right now? In our current config, which is VisualForce + Tabs, we utilise Chatter for our discussion - I held out moving forwards with the project until Chatter/Groups was available within the template, which happened earlier in the year. For me there’s a familiarity that exists for users when you’re there. Also, the thing to consider about the Ask a Question function is that I’m not sure for how much longer Salesforce are going to support and develop Chatter Answers, which drives that function. I could be wrong but I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that this is likely to be phased out of development etc.
Perhaps @cocastro can comment to this?

(Kath Reuben) #5

Hi @Nick_Emmett - thanks for responding! Our current community are really passive receivers of information as the current community we have doesn’t provide any options for engagement (hence one of the reasons we are transitioning). So whilst there isn’t an inherent familiarity with Ask A Question (or Groups functionality) specific to our Community, more a general assumption that from the interface design and experience of online forums asking questions is more intuitive to use. But @ccastro it would be good to understanding future plans as i would hate to lead with a piece of functionality that is phased out as soon as the community gets comfortable using it.