[Article] Community powered marketing

(Sarah Hawk) #1

@ale_fattorini brought my attention to a really interesting article via Twitter today.

I’d recommend taking 5 mins to read this: Community-powered marketing succeeds where traditional marketing fails

Quite simply, buyers today aren’t looking for products (there are so many products today, and most are pretty great). Instead, they’re looking for solutions to their problems, and the confidence that they’re deciding on the right partner for these solutions.

(Richard Millington) #2

This is the kind of article I would have written about 10 years ago before I really understood how advertising and push/pull tactics work.

I think behavior is changing. People are more resistant to ads than ever. Adblockers are a huge problem for organisations which rely on ads.

Ultimately, however, advertising works. It genuinely, sincerely, works. It’s hard to name a single major corporate brand that doesn’t use it. It’s hard to name any major brand that thrived without using push tactics.

I also see some contradictions here in:

…which is apparently bad.

and…

Is not putting messages where people might encounter them and speaking to them where they are the same thing?

The more nuanced reality is it depends very much upon the type of customer you’re working with (yup, that’s targeting), understanding what information they need, when they need it and how they need it (that’s the sales funnel), and providing them that information in the lease intrusive way possible.

(Sarah Hawk) #3

I don’t think anyone is arguing that. I think this article is suggesting that we think about it differently, which is never a bad thing IMO.

What I found interesting about it is that it explains ‘marketing stuff’ in a language that I understand.