Alternative title to Community Manager?

(Mohammed Rafy) #1

[Closing the loop] I chose “Head - Community” as the signature because it covers all the posts we mentioned like Community manager, advocate and other stuff.

Hey all,

I work as a community manager with a developer community and I use Community Manager in the email signature. I’m getting my business card printed and I wanted to check if there are any other designations in the same area.

According to some people in the tech field and developers, they say MANAGER is not a good option to add and they don’t like it. It’s up to them, though.

Architect? Advocate? Sounds nice!

What is the other designation you guys use?

Coming up with job titles that describe AND recruit
(Finman) #2

Community Lead? or Leader?

(Bas van Leeuwen) #3

Depends on the community.
If you have a small, tech-mindede, informal type of community, I think you could do worse than ‘Community Guy’ :slight_smile:

(Mohammed Rafy) #4

Might work. Community Lead.

(Mohammed Rafy) #5

It’s a community with good no of users. IMHO, community guy isn’t that cool though.

(Nick Emmett) #6

I guess it depends what you want people to know about what it is you do? How does the term relate to your role itself? Do you work just within the forums, replying etc or do you have a wider reach, managing internal relations, the business integration, platform roadmap etc?

(Richard Millington) #7

Think @jake_mckee might’ve trade-marked that…

(Nikoletta Harrold) #8

Not sure if these will help, but this is the list of job titles we got reported on our salary survey in North America.

(Mohammed Rafy) #9

This list is interesting. Thanks.

(Janet Swisher) #10

Maybe this is a bit pretentious, but I’ve been using “Community Strategist”.

(Sarah Hawk) #11

I don’t think it is – I really like it because I think it’s descriptive.

To me it implies that you do less of the day to day tactical stuff and more of the big picture planning.

(Melissa Jenkins) #12

At Breastcancer.org they gave me the title “Community Director”, for what it’s worth :wink:

(Lucas Miller) #13

I like Community Strategist! It is descriptive as @HAWK mentioned, but it gives you an opportunity to expand the role into departments within the company: i.e. marketing, product, leadership or maybe even HR as directing strategy for internal learning/career growth or helping companies build more effective teams.

This whole conversation reminds me of a recent podcast from Community Signal, where Partick O’Keefe discussed the career advancement of community managers. (http://www.communitysignal.com/the-career-ceiling-in-online-community-management/)

As far as career trajectories go - does anyone have success stories of building their careers as community managers/strategists?

(Sarah Hawk) #14

I guess it depends how you define success, but I’ve certainly been pretty lucky in my career.

7 years ago I was asked to manage a community that I had been a volunteer moderator at for a few years. That was my first community job (I was a software developer before that). While I was there I did a pretty large and public migration which got @richard_millington’s attention so he offered me a job with FeverBee.

I’ve always done some freelance work on the side because I like the variety. For a while that was with eModeration, doing agency work in some big and interesting brands, then it was with Polpeo, who simulate social media crises to help organisations strategise in times of crisis, and now it’s for UXMastery, which is a labour of love because I built that community from scratch.

I’m particularly lucky because I live in NZ and all of the above jobs have been remote. Some in Australia, some in the US, and some in the UK.

I’d love to hear other people’s stories.

(Darren Gough) #15

I was lucky enough to get a job managing the MSE community before I think we even knew what a community was meant to do.

I was a contributor who saw a need for better moderation and offered services for free around my other full time job. Started to learn more and make some suggestions for improvements of the community. These started to work so was offered a part time paid role. Kept learning, kept pushing, and (I believe importantly) wasn’t afraid to make suggestions that weren’t always in line with the owner but we both had a mutual respect that got us (in the main) to places of agreement.
Both of us were mainly data centric but also put a lot of faith in understanding people and a belief in simply “making the experience better”.

Between us, and the growing team we learnt how to keep iterating and growing. We then had one year where we saw exponential growth and the role needed more. Offered it as full time (and at the time pretty lowly paid) but I loved doing it and saw the potential.

When I left for the exciting challenge of FeverBee we had one of the most active and powerful communities and social networks in the UK with tens of thousands of interactions daily and 1.5 million members.

That’s my little trip down memory lane. Now I get to sit on the other side of the fence and help our amazing clients with their journeys.

(Jake McKee) #16

Ha! Be right back… need to head to the Trademark Office real quick…