Advice for Building an Online Community

challenges

(Kim Koppel) #1

Hi,

My organization is working to build and enhance our online community. At this point, we are looking for best practices around documentation and KB articles. How do you organize and differentiate between the two. Any insights here?

Thanks!

(Richard Millington) #2

Hi @kimk

Thanks for joining us here!

What size is your organization / how much content are we talking about here? :slight_smile:

(Emma Furtado) #3

Hi @kimk

I see documentation as your product’s prescription-validated & supported, solutions. KB articles on the other hand are one offs, user shared best practices, community-submitted solutions, workarounds, shortcuts, different ways to solve problems or deploy products.

Are you planning on storing both in community?

(Kim Koppel) #4

Thanks @communitygal! Yes, we are thinking of storing everything in the community for a “one stop shop” for customers.

(Darren Gough) #5

@Nancy_Kinder might have some insight here with her KM background

(luca meli) #6

What system do you like to use to find new members? Do you use some big social networks or some e-mail to blogs related with your subject ?

(Nick Emmett) #7

There’s lots of potential ways you could address this I guess @kimk - what platform are you using currently?

As an example, we are on Salesforce - as such all our Knowledge Articles are within the Salesforce Knowledge Base, which is exposed in our Community (built using Salesforce’s Community Cloud platform).

We store documentation in an Amazon bucket in AWS and our video content is stored on Vimeo and embedded onto our records in Salesforce and exposed through Salesforce list views.