A Newbee Needs Help Launching Out

(Zanny Birch) #1

Hello lovely people

'Am a new bee here and I have read lots of wonderful contributions from you all - thumbs up!
So I read somewhere about Ning platform, I subscribe to the trial version which I never get to use, forgot to cancel, now am stuck for a year! No regrets though…

The question is where do I go from here…

Now, I have a Facebook group already and intend to have my premium member off Facebook and create such experience for each other, sharing information, videos, etc.

The problem now is, I don’t know where or how to start, I am not technology savvy so don’t ask me questions, How can I get the community up and running in readiness for premium members to move in.

Please feel free to ask me any questions…

Thanks
Zee

(Sarah Hawk) #2

Hi Zee,
Welcome. :slightly_smiling:

So just to clarify, you currently have an engaged Facebook group and now have a Ning subscription which you’d like to utilise by migrating your group onto it?

Is your challenge around the technicalities of setting up the Ning platform, or around your community strategy?

(Alessio Fattorini) #3

Changing a platform is very risky, members might not join the new platform and that’s going to make this very difficult. How many people are we talking about?

(rhogroupee) #4

It would also help us help you if we knew the “mission” of your community…is it a community of practice, tech support, fan site, something else? There are definitely different strategies depending on your goals with the site.

(Nick Emmett) #5

Have you spoken to your members about this proposed change? It will be quite a change moving from Facebook’s unstructured, new-feed style approach, to a more structured Forum style platform?
What’s driving the change? Is it the best for the community or one of convenience having fallen foul of the dreaded trial period expiration (been there - done that!).
It’s important to make sure you’re doing things for the right reasons.

(Zanny Birch) #6

Thanks, my challenge is around both. But first, Technicalities.

(Zanny Birch) #7

The Ning platform will be for premium members, so no problem if all members don’t join.

(Richard Millington) #8

Hi Zee,

I think we’re probably going to need more context here to really help (as most posters have already mentioned).

For example, what is the topic? How many people are you trying to reach? What is your budget? What is the goal you’re trying to achieve with the community?

I would probably avoid Ning at this point. I haven’t seen much innovation from them in a while and their community site suggests most of their customers are unhappy.

(Zanny Birch) #9

Thanks Richard.
Like I mentioned, am kinda stuck with them for a year, so I need to make the best use of it as one year’s subscription has been taken from my account. The site will be for premium members moving from Facebook, it’s a support group for women looking to navigate their careers either within their organisation or looking to change to something else, e,.g start a business.

Not sure of numbers for now but depending on interest as we go along.

(Kristen Gastaldo) #10

I’d be careful here. If it’s not a platform you like or feel you can maintain, I wouldn’t move. It’s hard enough to move people once, much less twice (should you migrate off Ning in a year). Sucks you already paid for it, but might need to consider it “cost of doing business.”