A Google Alert or Mention for each Community Member...?

(Michael Britt) #1

I know that as community managers we want to help members who have common interests to connect with each other and we want to celebrate members’ achievements which of course usually happen outside the community (e.g., person gave a speech at a conference, published a book, was mentioned on TV, etc., etc.).

What do you think of the idea of either using Google Alerts (free but not powerful) for mentions of a community member’s name or create an account with Mention.com (powerful but costly)? This way you could “keep an eye” on members?

Michael

(Sarah Hawk) #2

I think I love this idea.

Can you clarify the process as you envisage it?

Would you follow all community member, and if for e.g.) a someone wrote an ebook and mentioned it online, you’d get a notification which you’d then push to the community platform.

(Nick Emmett) #3

Definitely a sound idea with legs in it.

I actually have Google alerts set up for my main customer accounts as a Customer Success Manager and this transfers in to my Community Manager role, but mainly watching for posts about my leading members’ companies’. It sometimes gives me little inroads to drop them a note out of the blue about something.

I haven’t tried it for individuals as yet, I suspect the results might be too vaguely connected, but worth a try.

(Michael Britt) #4

Right. I’m thinking that if I discover that a member of the community say, gave a talk at a conference I would find out about it and then contact him/her and say congrats and then suggest that they create a short post about it in the community.

(Michael Britt) #5

I’ve been using Mention.com with a free account and it’s actually doing a good job of discovering whenever someone sends a tweet and mentions me in it. Gets expensive if you want to use it with a lot of people so I’ll start with Google Alerts and see how that goes. I’ll report back.

(Sarah Hawk) #6

I love that idea. It would be interesting to see how many people took you up on the idea.

It might also be cool to have a news widget that automagically pulled the data and displayed it like social media feeds do.

(Michael Britt) #7

I love the “news widget” idea! You got me thinking…the cool thing about Mention is that you can train it by telling it whether or not something it thinks is referring to you actually is referring to (or your brand). There are quite a few "michael britt"s in the world so I’ve had to tell the system which ones actually refer to me. That’s neat. I doubt, however, that there are many "sarah hawk"s in the world (cool name). :smile:

(Sarah Hawk) #8

Ha, thanks. There is one that I know of. She lives in Canada and I’m now good friends with her dad because for the last ~15 years he’s been accidentally emailing me once a month or so.

(Richard Millington) #9

The news widget idea is pretty cool.

The challenge is almost certainly going to be filtering out the bad stuff. It would need some sort of pre-approval process for it to work.

Love the idea of having a member’s news feed directly into the community though.

(Nick Emmett) #10

For the news feed how about perhaps a Twitter feed pulling from a List in Twitter? I use one of these to follow my Community members and keep up to date on whats going on for them

(Mark Baldwin) #11

I have a google alert set up for my boss, so I can keep an eye on what he says. He likes talking to the press and leaking details. However, there are quite a few other people with the same name, so sometimes I have to do a double take at some of the alerts I get. :slight_smile:

(Michael Britt) #12

Great idea Nick.

(Alessio Fattorini) #13

I have a thread on my community where a post all stuff collected by mention (posts tweet about my project) and it works pretty well :wink:

(Sarah Hawk) #14

How does it work? Do people respond when they see their own news? Do others congratulate them etc?

(Alessio Fattorini) #15

Yes they click on my links and use it to keep update :slight_smile:
2,7k views and 64 likes.
Looks a good thread :wink:

(Michael Britt) #16

I like that idea - collect all the mentions and put them in ongoing post series. Nice.

(Sarah Hawk) #17

I was thinking more about this and I initially worried about publicly announcing things about people without their permission, but I suppose if it comes off social media anyway then it’s ok.

How would you feel as members here if I posted news items that related to things you’d done but not shared here?

Thoughts?

(Michael Britt) #18

You make a good point Sarah (confidentiality concerns). In answer to your question: I think I’d feel okay if you posted something here about me that you found online - as long as it was positive info.