I've just spent an hour or two reviewing the new types of community homepages around at the moment.
Most new communities fall into one of five categories:
1) Activity-stream. The community is driven by a central news feed shared by all members similar to Facebook.
2) Activity-boxes. We saw this with Sarah Hawk's Sitepoint community. It's Pinterest-style.
3) Purist-activity. We see this with most forums / stackexchange / most lithium sites
4) Activity-content. Where activity and content are combined and intermixed into a single place. Huddler does this. Jive too.
5) Guided-Activity. You see this where the homepage guides people towards specific activity. Moz does this - guides people towards events.
Has anyone seen anything new that doesn't fit into one of the above categories?