[5 June] What are you working on this week?

weeklywork

(Sarah Hawk) #1

Eeeek – I’m a day behind because we had a public holiday yesterday.

• This week I’m still plugging away building my superuser microsite. I’m enjoying being stuck back into some front-end stuff.
  • I’ve been working with a content/PR consultant who is helping me pitch an opinion editorial on the above project to the Australian press. It’s been an interesting process to learn what kind of content they are interested in. So far though, no luck. I’m getting a lot of “We love this piece but it’s not for us/we have something else similar”.
  • I’m also wrangling developers and designers to get some other web projects wrapped up – including a new homepage for this community, which I’m super excited about.
  • I just kicked off a bookclub in my other community, which so far is proving incredibly popular and has boosted our visitor – member conversion rate considerably (I heavily leveraged Twitter). It’ll be interesting to see whether those members remain engaged.

What are you up to?

(Marcin Hakemer-Fernandez) #2
  • Getting more clearer on my role connected with the client I’m working with.
  • Tried paying to promote a Facebook event (Falun Dafa exercises in a Vilnius park) - went pretty good. Seems like promoting an event works better than I expected.
  • Digging a bit deeper into the methodology of my “love your tribe” project.
  • Added 5 more books to my list of 100+ books that are on my reading list :wink:

(Richard Millington) #3

Why Vilnius park? :slight_smile:

Congrats on the reading list.

(Marcin Hakemer-Fernandez) #4

People practice the Falun Dafa exercises all over the world. Whenever I’m in a different country I just visit the website, see what park their practicing in and go and join them (meet new people etc.).

But …

Lithuania is one of the few countries that has no Falun Dafa group :slight_smile:

So I made my own :wink:

Oh, and I’m in Vilnius because this is where the company I work with has it’s local office. I like to come here as often as I can, because remote work sucks out the “care” from me (and being with people makes me care more) :slight_smile:

(Marcin Hakemer-Fernandez) #5

I would prefer the list to be smaller. Kindle ruined it all :wink:

(Richard Millington) #6

Ah, interesting.

I used to live in Vilinus. My wife is Lithuanian - so I spend a lot of time
out there. Should be heading over in July if you’re around.

(Marcin Hakemer-Fernandez) #7

I was actually planning to come here in July again with my wife, but I didn’t set the dates yet. When will you be here?

(Richard Millington) #8

Probably the final week of July. How about you? I haven’t confirmed any dates yet.

(Marcin Hakemer-Fernandez) #9

I’ll PM you. Don’t want to “spam” this thread too much :wink:

(Chris Catania) #10

Hi All - June is here and summer has been heating up for me, for sure: here’s what I’m working on this week:

• I officially rolled off our current CM last week and took over their duties until our new CM is hired as we’re still on the hunt to fill the open position.
    • I wrote the farewell post in our community celebrating the CM’s work and it was an interesting experience giving a shout-out and recognition to another CM who had been managing the Esri community for the last 3 years. Reminded me of the first time I moved on from being a CM.
  • Working on an AMA strategy and related technical projects
  • Developing use cases/redesigns for our top user groups and prepping them to share at our User Conference in July.
  • Moving forward on a URL transition and blog migration project.
  • Updating our new Education group and reviewing strategy with stakeholders
  • Finalizing User Conference content and meet-up strategy
  • Prepping for first customer MVP meetings next week
  • Moving forward on building our community metrics dashboard integrating Adobe Analytics with community metrics.
  • Putting together strategy for our training sales and professional services team

(Sarah Hawk) #11

Jealous. Winter is setting in here with a vengeance!

Looks like you’ve got a busy week ahead Chris!

(Piper_Wilson) #12

In my other community, I’m focusing on personally greeting new members and helping get them pointed in whatever direction they ask me about. I’m really enjoying it.

I’m becoming more confident with the subject matter. Not as an expert in UX but knowing the people better.

The semester has started and I’m slogging my way through math plus the others but math is the stressful one. Fortunately, my boyfriend tutors at the college I’m attending so I’ve got built in help.

(Mark Williams) #13

How is that working? I’ve considered doing it with my struggling community but it feels … something. Stalky? But, the things I have been doing haven’t moved the needle significantly so a harder push may be required.

(Piper_Wilson) #14

Hi Mark,

I’ve only been doing it about one month so we don’t have a lot of stats, but my gut tells me it’s going well. We do have some stats showing conversions but the book club started ramping up a couple of weeks after I came on board so I can’t take all the credit.

The answers I’ve received back from new members are friendly and kind. If they respond to me, I can invite them to post in our Member Registry or find some links relevant to what they’ve asked about or anything else that’s appropriate.

As for stalkerish, I kind of know what you mean. Even though we can see people as soon as they sign up, I always wait at least two hours I send them a greeting. I feel that, if I contacted someone within 10 minutes of their joining, that they may feel like I’ve been lurking in wait for them. Our goal is to send new members a greeting within 24 hours. All I can say is that no one has seemed discombobulated by my messages.

I’ve been enjoying it and I’m gratified that Hawk has brought me on board.

(Mark Williams) #15

That’s a good idea, also seems less automated I would think. Thanks for the feedback.

(Piper_Wilson) #16

Also, @HAWK may be able to give you more information on the actual stats and what she’s seeing. I’m still too new to be able to translate that sort of thing well.

I’m glad you liked the idea.

(Sarah Hawk) #17

I think it works well. Here it often gives me an insight into what people need help with, which is useful from a consultancy and a content perspective. It also helps with orientation.

At UXMastery (where Piper does it) there is a direct correlation between the welcomes and the newcomer - first post conversion rate.

I used to invest more time in it and actually research people but that isn’t feasible any more.

When I did the community breakdowns a while back, one of the things that I noticed was how disconcerting it can be if you sign up to a new community and there isn’t anyone around. I like the idea of members being orientated when they join, especially on platforms like Discourse where they’re greeted with a bit of a wall of text.

(Alessio Fattorini) #18

Really interested in, how did you set it up?

(Sarah Hawk) #19

(Sarah Hawk) #20

Further developments – to keep engagement steady I’ve created a Discourse group that includes everyone that expressed interest so that I can tag them into posts.

I’ve also given them avatar flairs (see below) for exclusivity and we’ve managed to swing a live Q&A with Don Norman, the author of the book (and the legendary father of UX).