48% Never Log In Again

challenges

(Kristen Gastaldo) #1

So I’ve been digging into my metrics and finally have some data to confirm my suspicion:

Of the people who have created an account since our migration, 48% have not logged in again since their initial join.

YIKES.

My thoughts on where to go from here:

What % of those people posted?
If they posted, did they get a response?

If they didn’t post, did they do ANYTHING on the site?

I’m going to start working on a reengagement strategy, but to be honest, I’m not sure I have the right to contact these folks. When you join the community, we don’t automatically add you to a marketing list (as we think our users would be pretty opposed). So, I can contact the within the Jive platform, but if they aren’t getting notifications, they’re out of my reach it seems.

Any ideas on where I should go from here, with my newfound knowledge?

(Sarah Hawk) #2

Do you know how active they were before the migration? Is this a behaviour change that occurred as a result of the migration, or were they never active to begin with and just signed in as a result of an email prompting them to do so?

Hmmm. I’m not sure of the legalities here either, but I think that contacting them for community related things is legit. I relatively frequently contact people by email to ask them for feedback etc. I wouldn’t add them to a marketing list but I’d reach out personally.

I’d be interested to hear whether other people have thoughts on that.

(Mark Williams) #3

This was exactly my thought. Is this different? If so, then it’s worth YIKES, but maybe it’s close enough to previous behavior to be a huh and figure out how to move forward with that. Either way, until you know that, it’s not worth panic.[quote=“Kristen_Gastaldo, post:1, topic:6184”]
I’m not sure I have the right to contact these folks.
[/quote]

Well, that’s a difficult question. Legally, I think you are probably ok, depending on how they initially sign up. If they did go through a signup flow and weren’t automatically created by another system, I certainly think you have a ‘business relationship’ and even an ‘intent’ to engage. Laws on this type of thing are all over the map, but I think if you are human about the interaction, you’ll probably be ok.

(Richard Millington) #4

@Kristen_Gastaldo - welcome back! I was wondering if you were still alive :slight_smile:

Sounds a little self-serving, but I’d definitely go ahead and do this.

We want to make the community better for them, we’re not charging money for it, so it should be a win-win over the long-term. I don’t think your metric is too crazy by the way, I’d suspect we would be at a similar number, if not more than that.

(Kristen Gastaldo) #6

I’m here! My relationship with this community is a bit flakier than I’d like.

As far as pre-migration, that 48% is actually people who’s join date matches their last login date - and I’m only looking at join dates since the migration. We migrated over about 50k people (which was crazy), and of those only ~1000 logged in. The old forums were pretty dead, as they had been overrun with spam for months. I’ll can’t quite get the same stat on them, because their join date migrated over as the migration date, rather than their true original join date. So I’m really just checking to see if they’ve logged into the new platform (and if that date is close to the “go live” date.

For communication, I’m going to talk to our web/mail team and see what the rules are. I know Germany is pretty strict about it. I’m in the middle of community clean up (deleting users who have never logged in and have no content associated with their account), so I’m planning a mass email to those folks, warning them they’re going to be deleted, unless they activate.

It’s about 3000 people in that 48%. Today I’m digging through to see who of those posted something (and if they got a response). I think I’ll work on reaching out to that group first.

(Sarah Hawk) #7

Ah, that makes more sense.

As Rich says, I suspect ours is something similar. I’ve always found this to be a source of frustration – not being able to figure out why those people signed up in the first place when they weren’t planning on reading anything.

(Kristen Gastaldo) #8

The plot thickens. 85% of the “never logged back in” folks have valid email addresses, so I feel okay assuming this isn’t a spam issue.

(Richard Millington) #9

Have you had a chance to reach out to them and ask what’s going on?

Would be really interesting to get direct feedback from some of them about why they bothered to join but not participate.

We have the same thing here. Not quite those numbers, but not far off.

(Sarah Hawk) #10

It’s the thing that frustrates me the most. I’ve frequently contacted segments of those people and never once had a response from one. I’ve often wondered if there is a way (using GA or something) to track their user journey – see where they came from when they signed up and where they went. There might be a clue there.

(Kristen Gastaldo) #11

My next step is to figure out what they did before they disappeared. Did they post and get no response? Did they post and NOT get a response? It looks like most of the people did not even post.

I’m going to run up against the “can’t email these people” regulation next. I can message them in Jive, but well, they obviously aren’t checking it!

(Piper_Wilson) #12

Can you tell whether these folks have notifications turned on? Would that make a difference?

I know that I hadn’t been back to Feverbee for a long time when @HAWK sent me a message on here. I received a notification for it, responded and I’ve been back ever since.

(Kristen Gastaldo) #13

Hmm, I’m honestly not sure. People are opted in with notifications turned on, but they can certainly turn them off. Plus if you don’t DO anything, there’s nothing to be notified of.

I’ll at least go about finding my open rates for notifications. That’d be helpful.

(Piper_Wilson) #14

@Kristen_Gastaldo - Wouldn’t you be able to contact anyone that had their notifications turned without worrying about invading privacy and all that? You’d know they’ve “left the light on for you.”