[24 April] What are you working on this week?

weeklywork

(Sarah Hawk) #1

Another week has rolled around already! Slow down time, slow down!

This week I’m:

• managing a couple of design projects
  • going to implement and test the Discourse <> Slack plugin to see how that works
  • writing an opinion piece on influencer programs for the Aus Marketing Trade Press (in the lead up to launching my superuser subsite)
  • supporting the launch of our new course
  • fixing up some customisations that broke here with the latest update to Discourse
  • putting together some documentation so that I can take on a volunteer CM/moderator at UX Mastery

What are you guys up to this week?

(Nick Emmett) #2

This week for me is a big one in a technical sense with the movement of lots of content from an old website to our Community storage, getting my hands dirty and shifting some content.

I’m also starting to try and drive some momentum and create some buzz for our rapidly approaching live, offline events.

The pre-release notes are also out now for the next release of Salesforce so will be spending some time perusing the new features and enhancements and what they mean for us and our members

(Shreyas) #3

This week I’m organizing our first ever Open house on Friday for Community Managers. Usually, our Open houses are tech related topics, so this would be interesting. I’m also putting together a training resource for speaking at conferences, writing CFP’s and a calendar of conferences across the world in a year.

(Piper_Wilson) #4

@dun3buggi3 - That sounds like it’s going to be wonderful. Best of luck to you!

For me, I decided that the internship I was so excited about last week wasn’t a good fit. I’m looking forward to a different opportunity that has come my way. Beyond that, school as usual.

(Shreyas) #5

That’s a good thing. Is the new role in communities?

(Piper_Wilson) #6

Indeed it is. I’m actually kind of giddy about it. It’s inline with what I’ve always wanted to do. If it had worked out, the internship would have been a good experience but it wasn’t what I was really interested in.

(Robyn Jordan) #7

Hey all this week I’m trying to line up a few more community interviews to see what will help entice new members and get current members to remain engaged.

Also working on writing a part of an ebook so trying to finish up some of those drafts, if you work on an advocacy program I’d LOVE to talk to you about it!

Finally, still on the job hunt, and trying to survive allergy season.

(Jay Pfaffman) #8

I’m off to the American Educational Research Association annual convention. In my former life I was an educational researcher, now, my wife is.

For the first time since I started Discourse consulting, I’ll be meeting face-to-face with a client. We’ve got a couple work sessions; he’s hoping to move his community from Ning to Discourse. Ning seems to say that they’re moving people to Version 3 and that version 3 lacks a means to export your data, so looks like time is running out for Ning users who will ever want to use another platform. I’m hoping to get some tweaks on the Ning import script to make it a bit more robust.

My work on my Discourse Install app continues. I just need to figure out how to get it to charge money and then deploy it to the actual internet. It’s getting pretty slick, though. Instructions that I used to email out are now presented on a page that, for example, hides the Mailgun settings if Mailgun reports that they’re good. It also shows the version of Discourse running & if the hostname resolves to the IP when Discourse is installed, it automatically turns on https. Though my primary audience was people that get me to do installs, I think it might be a handy tool for people who want to quickly deploy (and destroy) Discourse instances.

(Sarah Hawk) #9

It is! @Piper_Wilson is coming on as my volunteer 2IC at UXMastery.
She’s full of energy and enthusiasm – I’m lucky to have her.

Every season is allergy season for me. Hay-fever is the bane of my life!

(Shreyas) #10

This is awesome. Happy for you @Piper_Wilson. I’m sure this would be a great experience!

(Nick Emmett) #11

That’s awesome - what a Win/Win situation!

(Piper_Wilson) #12

@Nick_Emmett - Thank you. :slight_smile:

(Rachel McGuigan) #13

I am working on cleaning and updating the Tribal Knowledge base for the new front page of the community. Does anyone have any advice or resources for examples of an engaging front page for their community?

(Sarah Hawk) #14

Rich wrote a blog post about it a couple of years back.

We’re currently in the process of building one for this community as well. Attached is a mockup that I hacked together. The two main goals are to present a strong CTA (search) and to funnel people into the most appropriate content area given their situation.

expertspage.pdf (396.1 KB)

(Logan Johnston) #15

Discourse <> Slack plugin? That sounds amazing. Checking it out.

(Sarah Hawk) #16

I have it working. You can use filters to port content from Discourse over into specific Slack channels. Works quite well, but what I really want is something that works the other way, so that I can pull discussions of Slack and post them on Discourse in order to preserve the convo.

(Robyn Jordan) #17

Working on getting a focus on a few campaigns to increase engagement and recruiting more customers into the advocacy community.

Trying to create a resources doc for customer led meet ups/ user groups.