TBH, this week has been crazy. I’ve been a lurker at experts since a long time, but haven’t had much time to interact with you wonderful folks.
Some background about what I do
This startup I’m with, we’re a team of 9. I’m one of the early team members who has joined the company 2 years ago and has seen it grow. Hired as a Community Evangelist, I was handling communities, social media, events, partnerships, offline + online marketing(and a whole lot of other things). Since we’re a product based startup and because I believed in the product, I’ve spent a lot of time and effort on this. Working crazy hours-mostly more than 12 hours a day(office+home), 5 days a week with some events/meetups/meetings on weekend.
Whoa! That is crazy hours indeed. Why didn’t you move?
Although I’ve received a couple of offers during this time from other companies, I chose to stay because I really like the team and more importantly, the product we built.
Uh…huh…So why do I feel this didn’t end well
Because it didn’t. This week, our founders told us that our investors were not happy with the numbers(DAU, active sessions, analytics) and that we have to shut down this month.
Damn! That must’ve been hard.
It sure was. But looking at the positive side of things, I’ve had more time than ever to focus on things I love and I’m passionate about, which includes learning more about community management, organizing my thoughts into blogposts, volunteering for mission driven organizations and most importantly, spend time with my family.
- I’m really passionate about story-telling. I love listening to stories & sharing my story.
- I would be speaking at a couple of events this weekend.
- I plan on attending a local Buffer meetup this week to help and learn from people on Social media and brand building.
- Randomly strike a conversation with a stranger at a local Starbucks. Bangalore, is the Silicon Valley of India and everything from ideation to execution to even funding of a startup happens at a coffee shop. It would be amazing to learn about their journey and help them in whatever way I can.
- Choreograph a Bollywood dance for a family function happening later this month.