[16 Jan] What are you working on this week?

weeklywork

(Sarah Hawk) #1

I’m back from my summer beach holiday and ready to get stuck into 2017. Happy new year everybody.

What are you working on this week?

It’s going to be a busy one for me. I’m clearing my inbox, getting stuck into a building our next sub-site, redefining my role and annual targets, and working with @lizcrampton on some UX Mastery strategy stuff in preparation for our upcoming SCM course.

On a personal note, I’m starting a new part time job as a group fitness instructor at my gym.

What’s on your plate?

(Sarah Hawk) #2

(Rachel McGuigan) #3

Hi Hawk,
I wish you the best of luck with the new part time job, it sounds great to work on something out of a screen :slight_smile:

To hold myself accountable, I am posting what I am working on this week.

This week in the community I am working on completing the training material and references for the new platform we are moving over to next week and nailing down tasks for going live on that new site. I am open to all methods and examples for experienced migrators!

(Sarah Hawk) #4

Thanks! I think so too – I’m looking forward to it. I’m hoping that it will help with my online productivity by breaking things up a bit. I know that lots of people find that they are better parents if they take time away from their kids to go to work. This feels like a similar thing to me.

I’ve done a few migrations in my time. Anything in particular that’s making you nervous?

(Renée Van Holsteijn) #5

Hi @HAWK, welcome back :slight_smile: Seems like you’re quite busy doing cool things!
It’s been awhile since I was somewhat inactive, but it’s nice to catch up again.
My past weeks were filled with two things: building employee engagement for T-Mobile on Workplace, and… trying to find out what 2017 will look like for me. Due to a reorganisation T-Mobile is ditching community managers, including me. Now I know that I’m going to give life as a freelancer in content/community management a try… In Bali :slight_smile:

So, next thing this week: I will prepare handing over my work. And will be busy updating my Linkedin, writing my business plan and starting my website.

All of the motivation, tips & tricks are welcome!

(Sarah Hawk) #6

It has! Great to see you back.

[quote=“reneevh, post:5, topic:4879”]
Now I know that I’m going to give life as a freelancer in content/community management a try… In Bali
[/quote] Are you really?? That sounds amazing! I read an article somewhere recently about the increasing number of shared workplaces for freelancers in Bali. It sounds like it’s becoming quite popular – the cost of living is really low.

(Shreyas) #7

That’s awesome! I’ve always been eyeing Bali on Nomad List and the only problem that I see is access to good internet connectivity. But if my plans for the first half is set, I might just go Bali in the second half of this year and work from there for a month or two. :smiley:

(Richard Millington) #9

I spent a couple of weeks if Bali in 2015. The internet works but it’s not great and is prone to flaking out often. Fine for simple written tasks but not so great for anything that might require video chat.

(Nikoletta Harrold) #10

I spent lots of time QA-Ing our stage community. We got it handed over from the vendor after they QA’d and fixed their bugs. I found 27 new bugs in the first hour alone. You can guess how the rest of the week went…

(Sarah Hawk) #11

Ugh.

(Sarah Hawk) #12

Calling you on this @Rachel_McGuigan :wink:
How did you go?

(Renée Van Holsteijn) #13

I’ve seen some posts and videos about Dojo and Hubud, did you work in at those places, @richard_millington? Seems like the quality is pretty good. Hope so, because in my house (yes, I’m switching houses) is no wifi at all :slight_smile:

You should! And we should catch up then!

So, this week: More LinkedInning and Wordpressing for me, start a Workplace topic over here and since I have some spare time, reaching out a hand to those who need content/community help. @Nikoletta_Harrold, how’s the fixing of the bugs going?

(Mohammed Rafy) #14

Engage users, engage and engage.
Curate content for best CS books to read in a blog and have a feedback call with few users in the community.
Drawing the plan for next month and for the online video chat with one of the top developer.

P.S: Open to ideas and suggestions for all the mentioned points. =)

(Sarah Hawk) #15

CS?

(Rachel McGuigan) #16

@HAWK a draft of the training has been completed and a thread will be opened for other questions that it does not cover. Thank you!

(Richard Millington) #17

I can’t speak for any proper places, I was mostly roaming
hotels/restuarants and using their precarious wifi

(Mohammed Rafy) #18

Computer science books…

(Nikoletta Harrold) #19

I could do with some help but most importantly OMG why does no one in my company have any android devices that I could borrow! First time I am upset that apple is such a massive success!

(Sarah Hawk) #20