[1 May] What are you working on this week?

weeklywork

(Sarah Hawk) #1

May already!

For me that means reporting, building some frameworks to support my superuser research, writing an opinion piece to be published ahead of a keynote I’m presenting at Swarm later this year, adding some new testimonials to our course page and then on Friday I’m off to Bali for a holiday. Can’t wait!

What are you working on? (And while you’re at it, please add yourself to the Member Directory.)

(Nick Emmett) #2

For me it’s a shorter than usual week - bank Holiday Monday and then I’m for a long weekend break on Friday also - adding to that I’m out of the office and heading to London for an awards do on Wednesday night that just leaves Tuesday in the office with some work on the train down to London and back.

I’m hoping to meet up with one our super users for coffee whilst in London which will be good and a couple of Skype conversations with some others who are joining me on stage as panellists at our upcoming Community/Customer events.

I’ll be continuing my work and adjusting our Community site to include content from our other customer website which we’ll be sunsetting in June - I’m just easing content in before we go with an announcement to the customers base.

Sounds amazing - have a great time, you deserve it!

(Piper_Wilson) #3

I’m diving into my new community and trying to learn as much as possible. Even though my role is to help people with community things, not UX, I still want to know enough about UX to not sound like an idiot.

I’m also going to try and learn as much about Discourse as I possibly can. I learn by doing, not so much by reading, but at least I’ll have some type of base knowledge for when I get down into the nitty gritty.

Oh, yeah. And the semester is almost done. Yippeeeee!

(Kim Saloner) #4

Glad to be a part of this community. I’m also working on superuser research, specifically because I’m trying to initiate our first superuser program.

(Sarah Hawk) #5

Welcome Kim – great to hear from you.

I’m happy to bounce around ideas if that’s helpful. I spent a lot of time researching successful programs at the end of last year.

(Jay Pfaffman) #6

This week I’m working on a Ning import. The existing importer doesn’t know about Ning Groups.

But now:

• Ning groups get turned in to Discourse Categories
  • group descriptions become the “about” topics
  • Ning groups become Discourse Groups
  • Ning Group members become Discourse Group members
  • (Soon) imported group categories will be writable only by group members

And maybe I’ll try to copy over the group admin status as well.

Meanwhile, I’ll try to get my Discourse Installer to take people’s money so that I can start using it.

(Piper_Wilson) #7

Hi there,

I don’t have much to say besides welcome and best of luck with your project. Please let us know how it goes.

(Jay Pfaffman) #8

Hey, @Piper_Wilson. What are you doing to try to learn about Discourse? If you “learn by doing” what and where are you doing it?

(Graham Perrin) #9
  1. Building
  2. sustainability

– and a step towards building will be for me to learn whether the community feels ready for promotion of the forum.

Side note: I chose to begin browsing the FeverBee forum after reading Mittineague’s post 5 under How long usually it took you to build your forum to a sustainable level in the support area of Discourse Meta.

(Sarah Hawk) #10

Ha, good on Alan. He was a highly valued member of my staff back in my SitePoint days.

(Nick Emmett) #11

Awesome, and welcome @kim, great to have you here and super cool to see you jumping straight in. I have a superuser program on the roadmap so will be following your progress with great interest. :slight_smile:

(Mark Williams) #12

Apparently, I’m rewriting terms of use after finding (at least) 2 active versions on different areas of the site, the better of which has grammar errors and broken links. I swear I looked at these when I took over this community but somehow missed this issue.

Then, if there is time, play with Discourse as a possible platform replacement.

(Piper_Wilson) #13

LOL - I love the way you phrased that. Hang in there.

(Graham Perrin) #14

Weekend. A Saturday refocus on Firefox, well in advance of the incompatibilities that 57.0 will bring – after months of weaving Tab Groups into my workflows, preparing to bid farewell. Participation in Mozilla Discourse:

Focused, without distractions :slight_smile: (Make It Hard To Disrupt Someone’s Workflow) and tomorrow I’ll work on nothing :wine_glass: (vacation week after next) …